Monday, June 2, 2014

#522 -- Brazos Bend Great White Egret

Near the end of our field trip to Brazos Bend I came across the scene you see above -- a great white egret in a bed of water hyacinth. The light by then was pretty harsh and bright, and I've learned from experience that shooting a white bird in those conditions isn't always ideal. But I figured I had to give it a try. I took a couple of frames, then autobracketed a few more frames. In the bright sunlight I couldn't really tell which exposure was best. Surprisingly when I got home and was looking over my photos the camera-metered shot was really pretty good, no real blown highlights and decent exposure on the flowers. In post, I added a slight vignette and sharpened the egret a bit. 1/640 sec at f/6.7, 500mm, ISO100.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job maintaining exposure here. The light can get very harsh and flat that time of day. I remember seeing the Great Egret that morning on our field trip.

    ReplyDelete